About Check & Connect
Check & Connect is a research-based intervention used with students who are disengaged from school and learning. The core of Check & Connect is a trusting relationship between the student and a caring, trained mentor. This mentor both advocates for and challenges the student and partners with the family, school, and community to keep education salient for the student.
- Check refers to systematic monitoring of student performance variables (e.g., absences, tardies, behavioral referrals, grades).
- Connect refers to personalized, timely intervention focused on problem solving, skill building, and competence enhancement.
Students are referred to Check & Connect when they show warning signs of disengaging from school, such as poor attendance, behavioral issues, and/or low grades.
Mentors work with caseloads of students and families for at least two years. They function as liaisons between home and school, striving to build constructive family-school relationships.
Demonstrated outcomes of Check & Connect include:
- decrease in truancy, tardies, behavior referrals, and
- increase in attendance, persistence in school, credits accrued, and school completion; and
- impact on literacy.
See Selected Findings from Check & Connect Research Studies for more information.
Since the 1990s, Check & Connect has been implemented across the United States in over 27 states, and internationally.
Check & Connect in National Databases
Check & Connect is referenced in several databases, including the following:
- Check & Connect in the What Works Clearinghouse, Institute of Education Sciences
- Check & Connect in the Attendance Works "What Works" listing, Attendance Works
- Check & Connect in Social Programs That Work, Coalition for Evidence-based Policy
- Check & Connect in the Model Programs Database, National Dropout Prevention Center
- Check & Connect in the Dropout Prevention Database, Arkansas Safe Schools Initiative
- Check & Connect in the Deinstitutionalization of Status Offenders Best Practices Database, Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention
- Check & Connect in Strengthening the Safety Net, Center for Effective Collaboration and Practice
- Check & Connect in Clearinghouse for Military Family Readiness, U.S. Department of Agriculture, U.S. Department of Defense, Penn State University
Top of Page